Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Cukes, Squash & More!

It has been a while since my last post. I have been very busy in the garden; harvesting onions, squash, cucumbers and peppers. The tomatoes are yet to ripen. I predict that by July 10th, I'll have ripe tomatoes. I also have tiny white runner green beans on the vines. They are only about 3/4 of an inch long right now but rain is forecast for this weekend and we have been watering some about 3 times a week so I expect to be very busy picking, stringing & breaking and then canning green beans before too long. I have 2 long rows of these suckers! We love these beans though and since I had a broken arm all last summer and couldn't do any gardening, our supply has dwindled. I think there are only about 6 jars left, so the newbies are coming in just in time. The squash, cucumbers and onions have been so tasty! I tried a new stuffed squash recipe last night and I will definitely make that again. It calls for 1/4 lb of sausage, onions, bread crumbs, squash (of course) and seasonings. It was very good. I also made some squash bread. I plan to make some squash pickles and a batch of kosher dills this weekend. I absolutely love putting up things from my garden to eat in the dead of winter. It gives me such satisfaction to know that the food we are eating comes from good seed, good dirt and our sweat.
I have also been picking blackberries. I have only gotten about a quart so far but that is just a tease for what is to come. The canes are loaded with big juicy looking berries just waiting for their turn in the sun to ripen. mmmmmmmm love summer!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?