Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

The Eat Local Challenge

Well folks, I have been participating in an "Eat Local" challenge for many years because...well, it's a challenge to see how much of our own food I can grow. I like the challenge of eating as many meals as I can that are within a 100 mile radius. We buy our beef from a farm less than 10 miles from our home that is grass-fed and not given any kind of drugs. I couldn't believe at first how different the meat looked and tasted. Now that is real beef! We also grow a lot of our own food right here on our land so our radius is much less than 100 miles. I also buy a lot of our flour, corn meal, and grits from an old water mill that is about 30 miles from our home but I am not sure where the unmilled wheat and corn come from (I should ask!). So, with our further explanations, I am participating in the eat local challenge all this month with Liz and her pals and here is our meal for this week. Sweet corn on the cob, fried squash, cucumbers and tomatoes with homemade buttermilk biscuits. O.K. so the buttermilk is from the store but I am working on that ;~) Gotta quit my day job first!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?