Wednesday, July 26, 2006

 

Salsa Time!

We are havesting tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes. Enough said. Last night, I bit the bullet and made salsa. I just harvested about 10 pounds of tomatoes, mostly romas so I had to do something before my husband came home and couldn't get the door open for the tomatoes piled behind it. Don't get me wrong; I love homemade salsa and can't bring myself to even buy the stuff they have in the store anymore but it is a lot of work. I blanch, peel chop and drain all the tomatoes; roast some bell peppers and chop them; core and dice jalapenos, dice onions and garlic, chop up fresh cilantro and parsley. Whew! after all that I cook it slightly and add salt and other spices. For all that work last night I got 5 pint jars of salsa. We love to eat it right out of the jar with tortilla chips or with beans. I also use it in some recipes like enchiladas, black beans and rice, etc. Although this is not really a food blog, I can't help writing about what I do with my garden's bounty. After all, that is why we do it and I'll be doing much more of it before I'm done ;~)

I will be harvesting more corn today and snapping the rest of the green beans for canning. Hopefully canning a few more jars of tomatoes or making some soup for this winter is on the agenda too.

I pulled up the rest of the onions and am now ready to put in some raised beds in their place. I plan to plant more onions and garlic in those beds.

When I am so busy in the garden like now, my day job seems so fruitless. I long to be there in the mornings before the heat comes on, tending that precious space instead of heading off to work where I spend countless hours that while it earns me a paycheck, it does nothing much for my soul. I long to be totally connected with the soil, the compost, the weather and the bugs. I know that what I am able to do now will grow with time if I am just patient enough. There is a lot of work to do and I am thankful that I am able to do it. Back to the garden everybody!

Comments:
I just found your blog through the webring- so glad I did too!

I agree about the sights, sounds- the whole experience of being surrounded by nature. Dirt in the hand is an awesome experience!!!

Will add your name to my links and be back to visit soon!

Carla Lynne
 
Thank you Carla for your positive comments. This blog has been a good experience to share my passion with like-minded folks that love to keep their hands in the dirt and grow something!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?