Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Southern Weather

It is hot, high 90's hot. It is also very humid. The ground is dry as old bones. Yesterday, some workers digging a new gas line at the local high school put a thermometer on the pile of dirt near them and it promptly read 104 degrees. Of course this is not the air temperature but folks, it is sweltering out there. I must give the garden water every evening lest the whole thing get crinkled up by the heat the next day. We have not had a sufficient rain since June 28th and the temperatures since then have been mid to high 90's. The five day forecast shows sprinkles, rain and showers. I hope we get all three ;~).
We are planning a trip to the nearby mountains this weekend for a fiddler's convention. This is always a very good time and I have been looking forward to this for weeks but the garden doesn't want me to go. Just yesterday I noted that I will have to pick green beans, crowder peas, okra; can tomatoes; and try to find time to make some salsa and put that into jars all before I can leave home. I think I need to take a vacation day tomorrow so as I can get this all done!
We will eat a semi-local meal tonight, I plan to make stuffed peppers. Everything I put into them is either grown on our land (peppers, onions, tomatoes, fresh parsley, garlic) or bought from a farm nearby (ground beef). The only ingredient not local is the rice and of course the salt and pepper. You really don't need any side dish with these, they are pretty filling, but my dear husband will probably want some corn, cucumbers, tomatoes and biscuits to round everything out. Sounds good to me. ;~)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?