Friday, June 22, 2007

 

Big Weekend Plans

I have big plans for this weekend. I hope to get lots of things done in the old house we are living in and fixing up. I don't use the word renovate because I don't plan on modernizing the house any further that it has been for the last 40 or so years except to add a couple of window units for air conditioning. We don't have to run them as much since the 10 foot ceilings and large attic keep the downstairs area pretty cool. But hey, we do live in the south and it gets pretty hot here baby!
Here is a picture of one of the old fire places in my oldest son's room. I love these fire places and the mantels that accompany them. We have three and they are all the same. The other two have been modified to vent the oil furnaces but we are looking to replace this method of heating, we just haven't decided with what yet.

I also love the old "bead-board" paneling. This is in every room of the house on the walls and ceilings. It needs re-painting, though and I think I have decided to keep everything country white. The look of it all is so simple and functional. It takes me back to that simpler time when my ancestors lived and loved. That is what I love about it.

On the garden front, I have brought over some of my herbs from the old house to start my first herb bed at the new house. I also plan to revitalize an old bed on the east side of the house and plant some partial shade plants in that area. I may even try some lettuces or greens there. I am dying to dig in the dirt and have the harvest for my table. I so miss eating out of the garden. This year is the first in many years that we are not eating squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh greens and crowder peas from the garden. I really, really miss the heirloom tomatoes. Not many folks at the local farmers markets grow them so when I find them they are a real treat. I will have some tomatoes this year but they are not heirlooms and they will not ripen until about August. So sad :(. I will have heirloom tomatoes next year. Definitely!

So I plan to finish painting the pantry so I can post a picture of it too. I love the pantry! I also have to put shelf paper in the Kitchen cabinets that we have finished painting and move things around so I can finish painting the rest of the cabinets. Things are moving along, if rather slowly, but we are not in a big rush. I really do love living in this house and when I get a couple of gardens going, then it will truly be my home.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?