Monday, June 11, 2007

 

I'm Back....

Well, sort of. My gardening has slowed down quite a bit this year. We are moving into my grandparent's old home and I will be establishing some new beds there when everything settles down a bit. I planted garlic in December and just harvested the best garlic I have ever had. The bulbs are a very nice size and I now have them hanging to dry and braid them. I plan to store them in a newspaper lined box in my new pantry. I also have harvested the last of my lettuce. I planted red leaf and bib lettuce and they have also been the best lettuce yields I have ever had. I think it had to do with the cool spring temps we had here well into mid May. That is a bit unusual for our area. I also have early peas and cabbage that are doing pretty well despite the moderate drought. The broccoli plants I planted were no good. They bolted before they even produced anything you could call a head. They were pretty pitiful. I also have some onions and brussels sprouts along with the just transplanted tomatoes. We're a bit late on the tomatoes but as long as we get some home grown tomatoes I'll be happy. We may not plant much more since we are transitioning from one house to another. What with the painting and repairs we have been doing to the 1920 era house; we haven't had much time for weeding and working in the garden. I have missed it sorely but I have big plans for my new home and the future gardens.

Just cleaning out of the belongings from my ancestors has been a journey in itself...one of discovery and surprises sprinkled with a few heirloom treasures that I wouldn't trade or sell for anything. The house has a large Kitchen with a equally large pantry that is so cool. It even has a cellar, out building and work shop and I have another small room off my bedroom that I plant to make my painting/sewing room. There are some pieces of furniture in the house that date back to pre-civil war times and I have found pottery crocks and cooking vessels that would have been used to cook over a fire. I have always felt very connected to this house and the spirit of my ancestors that have lived here (my mother was even born in this house). I feel privileged to be able to call this place home for a few years or more.

Once we're moved in and a bit settled, I'll have great space for gardens and raised beds. There are existing apple, pear and peach trees, good quality grape vines, fig buses and some blackberries happily growing in the back of the property. My gardens have always provided me with a connection to the earth and all its wonders. This house gives me a feeling of a connection to the past. I am looking forward to being here in this place with my family; digging in the dirt and raising some chickens like my great granny did. I'll have not just one garden, but many...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?