Tuesday, April 01, 2008

 

Drought Not

It has been steadily drizzling rain for most of the day. Should make for some beautiful green in the coming weeks. It will be good to see that kind of drenched green again. I probably haven't seen it since this time last year due to the extreme drought here.

Horrray! The sun did come out today around 2:00. It was so beautiful to see everything still very wet but with the contrast of the Carolina blue sky. It's the kind of thing that really lifts your spirits up, especially after 2 1/2 days of rain.

Now; if the weather holds just for a couple of days, I'll get those raised beds in and the beets, radishes and onions in them.

The newspaper today ran a story about sticker shock at the grocery store and the fact that we haven't seen the worst yet. I am so thankful that we have the space, know how and opportunity to grow a good deal of our own food. In the past, we've gardened just because we enjoy eating fresh and we also like knowing how it was grown. It was always a matter of choice. Now it is becoming a matter of necessity. That's more than a little unsettling to me and I think about how spoiled we are when compared to my grand parents and great-grand parents. When I take stock of the things I have growing now--onions, herbs, snap peas, lettuces; tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings--I do feel some lightening of the load, but just a little. We still have a lot of work to do. This year I see gardening as a promise and if we nurture the soil and the seedlings, we will reap our rewards. So go get going on your own little patch of soil and grow some food...you'll be glad you did!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?