Thursday, July 17, 2008

 

Getting By

With money so tight these days, (hubby out of work - broke leg - ya know) I have been trying to stretch everything as far as it will go, waste nothing, and make everything I can from scratch. When you accompany that with working a full-time job it is quite exhausting. So these days, I am quite exhausted but also happily satisfied with providing for my family with very little means. I went to the grocery store Tuesday and spent a little over $33.00. I think I can make this last through the weekend and possibly to next Tuesday with the exception of eggs. We are eating squash, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, onions and peppers from the garden; rice (I bought a huge bag a couple of months ago) and dried beans - I always have at least 3 different kinds on hand. I have been baking all of our bread; cornbread, sandwich loaves, biscuits and muffins. I only add meat a couple of times a week and it is usually in a casserole with vegetables but I am looking forward to roasting a chicken this weekend. That bird will be toast! Bones picked clean. I have also been making buttermilk from culture and regular milk. It has been turning out very well. I always use buttermilk in my biscuits and cornbread. It just doesn't taste the same otherwise. These are just some of the things I have been doing to get by on a lot less. Actually, for poor folks, we've been eating pretty good! And healthy too boot!

Comments:
It all sounds delish! Will you save the picked clean bones for soup stock?
 
Kathie,
I do make my own stock from leftover bones and stuff. My favorite thing to do with a roasted chicken carcus that still has just a tad bit of meat on it (like under the backbone, maybe some wings) is to take the whole carcus and put it in a pot with either water or stock. After it is boiled, I take it out and cool it, then remove any meat that remains (it is pretty amazing how many little bits of meat you can get). To the pot I'll add diced onions, celery and carrots, garlic and a little thyme. While this is cooking over medium heat, I make dumplings. They are the same as my biscuits, just rolled out very thin. I also like to let them set out and dry for a bit before I put them in the pot. This is a favorite of my family's and another very frugal way to add a little meat to your meal. The dumplings help to thicken it but on occasion, I have added just a little bit of instant potatoes (which I keep on hand only for thickening soups and such) to give it a nice thick consistency. I like it better than corn starch for this kind of thing. Happy cooking Kathie!
 
Now that doesn't sound like hard times to me, you guys are eating good and you have your health well all but hubby. Life could be a lot worse. Sounds like you are doing a REALLY good job taking care of the family.

Chris
 
Thanks for your comment Chris. Physically and mentally this has been a challenging summer but if the truth be told, we have been eating a lot healthier because I just haven't had the money for eating out or any junk food. I didn't think that we ate that much anyway but when you don't have any at all you realize how much you were eating. This is something I hope to contniue...eating less junk. So, I am truly blessed and thankful for times like these because they open our eyes to things we couldn't have seen before. Blessings to you and yours.
 
I feel for ya'll...but it looks like you have the right attitude to make it through the rough times. I broke my pelvis last October. I was out of work for 5 1/2 months. Rough times forced us to rethink alot of what we do, use and need.

Best wishes
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?