Tuesday, July 29, 2008

 

Lonesome Gardening

Usually, I have no problem being alone. I enjoy the quiet and the stillness that accompanies the fact that no one is at home but me. I even like being outside, in the garden, in the woods; just myself and sometimes my dog (she's a good snake hunter). This gardening has been especially challenging because I have had to do it all alone. Don't take this wrong, I am a very independent person and many a day in the past years, you could find me in the garden by myself or with my cat picking beans, peas, okra, or weeding. My husband was always close by though doing "his chores". He likes to hoe, cultivate, rip out old plantings to make way for new and stuff like that. he also likes to pick peppers, tomatoes, squash and corn but doesn't like the "small stuff" so I always pick those. This year with him on crutches (and surprisingly clumsy on them) the garden is off limits with all it's uneven surfaces and soft soil. It is practically killing him...the day of his accident he was planning on coming home from work to be in the garden but went somewhere with his boss instead. So it is killing him - did I say that already? Yes, but I hear it at least twice every day. I have been so wrapped up in helping him heal his body and taking care of his needs and seeing that he has good, nourishing food to eat that I haven't thought about it much but this weekend, it hit me pretty hard. The reason why I haven't been as gung-ho in the garden this year is not just for lack of time (though that is true too) but I really miss my partner and being able to share the experience of putting food on our table together. It is sad that we as humans sometimes don't appreciate the little things in life until they are gone. I am so thankful that my husband's injury is not permanent and that one day hopefully very soon...We will be back in the garden together, planning, planting and putting good food on our table.

Comments:
Is ths our last blog? I hope you will write a new one soon. I hope your hubby is better!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?