Thursday, July 10, 2008

 

Missing Things

I'll start off to say that I am missing being in the garden this summer. Things started out very promising and with very high hopes to grow and preserve a large part of what we eat. Then the unexpected happened. My husband suffered an injury to his leg that broke bones, tore the miniscus and did lots of other tissue damage. The result was surgery to repair everything. He can't put weight on his foot for 3 months. He is nearly 2 months in now and starting to get around better but for the last month and a half, I have been very busy just taking care of him. What we did get planted before the accident has been nibbled on by deer but I think that with all the rain we've gotten here lately, they are finding something else to eat because they have finally stopped eating the leaves off my bean and pea plants. All we have this year is peppers, eggplant, lots of tomatoes and squash. The corn may not make it due to a lot of heavy winds during storms. It is laying on the ground right now. But the bright side of things is that this is temporary and as soon as he can, we are going to plant some things for a fall/winter garden and make more raised beds as they would be so much easier to manage. I think this has been a learning lesson for the both of us.
For one thing, we have learned to do without more things since he is out of work and drawing absolutely nothing. The other thing we've learned is to slow down and be more appreciative of what we do have.
I am picking loads of blackberries and making wine and freezing them for cobblers. I have also been processing the apples from our old trees into dried apples, apple sauce, and apple butter. A friend gave me some old honey she found in her dad's basement that still looked pretty good, just a little darker and I am making mead for the first time. I can't wait to see how it turns out. So, if we don't have anything else to eat from the gardens this winter, we will have apples, canned tomatoes and a bit of alcohol to drink ;~)

Comments:
Hi, I'm new to your site. I came over from Acorn Farm because I saw your comment about freezing herb and I wanted to ask you some questions regarding that.
But first, I am sorry to hear about your husband's injury but glad that he is recovering. I know how hard it must be for the both of you because I have been through this before. My husband is self-employed, him getting injured means me working my job, go home and try to do his landscaping jobs, then take care of him and the dogs and whatever else that needed to be taken care of at the house. Things will get better. Hang in there.
The question I wanted to ask you is how do you freeze herb? Do you just wash them, dry them and then put a layer on a sheetpan and just freeze? I know for greens like spinach they said to blanch before freezing.
Thanks.
 
Hi, :"everything place"; nice to meet you. With herbs like chives, parsley, cilantro and basil I bring them in and put them in my salad spinner. It is a big bowl with a removable basket inside and the lid which spins the basket. I put the herb in the basket inside the bowl and fill with cold,lightly salted(1/2 tsp) water. I let that sit for about 5 minutes and them I take out the basket, drain the herb and return it to the basket to spin dry. At this point, I finely chop the herb and put it in a plastic sourcream or yogurt container with a tight fitting lid. This way, I always have "fresh" chopped herbs ready to add to any meal. In my experience, the herbs stay good for a long time this way. So, to really answer your question, I don't blanch, just wash and spin dry. Thanks for the encouragement on my husband's dilemma. It is frustrating, but we will get through it. Have a wonderful day!
 
Thanks for stopping in my blog. Sorry to hear about what you and your husband are going through. No weight bearing is hard to do. I hope things are turning around for you all. Thanks for the advice on freezing herbs, never thought of that!
Kim
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?